[Numpy-discussion] effectively computing variograms with numpy

Timothy Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Mon Jun 25 10:59:06 EDT 2007

On 6/25/07, Hanno Klemm <klemm at phys.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Tim,
>
> Thank you very much, the code does what's it expected to do.
> Unfortunately the thing is still pretty slow on large data sets.

This does seem like the kind of thing that there should be a faster way to
compute, particularly since you are binning the results up. One approach
would be to just bin the data before doing the computation, however, that
loses a lot of accuracy. It does seem like there should be some moment-like
approach that would allow you to bin the data before you do the computation,
computing the first and second moments, or something similar and then
computing the results from the binned moments. I don't know that that would
work -- it's just a vague hunch. I don't know if I'll have time to try it
out, but I thought I would mention it.

will probably now look for ways to calculate the variogram from some

random samples of my data. Thanks for the observation regarding the

square array, that would have bitten me, later.

Your welcome, I hope this helps some.

Regards,

--
.  __