[Numpy-discussion] [ANN]New numpy, scipy and atlas rpms for FC 5, 6 and 7 and openSUSE (with 64 bits arch support)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Jun 24 07:05:46 EDT 2007

Hi there,

    After quite some pain, I finally managed to build a LAPACK + ATLAS
rpm useful for  numpy and scipy. Read the following if you use Fedora
Core or OpenSuse and are tired to install unsuccessfully numpy, scipy,
BLAS, LAPACK or ATLAS. Instructions are given there:

http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux (ashigabou repository)

Basically:
    - Fedora Core 5, 6  and 7 and openSUSE 10.2 are supported (x86, and
x86_64 for FC 7 and openSuse).
    - binary rpms for numpy, scipy and blas/lapack dependencies.
    - source rpm for atlas, for a really easy, 3 commands build of ATLAS
(should work for both x86 and x86_64).

    numpy and scipy are the last releases, including some backported
changes to make it work on 64 bits. Atlas is the last developement
version, with a trivial patch to build shared blas and lapack which can
be used as drop in replacements for netlib blas and lapack.
    I would like to hear people complains. If people want other
distributions supported by the opensuse build system (such as mandriva),
I would like to hear it too.

    cheers,

    David