[Numpy-discussion] Compile extension modules with Visual Studio 2005

Geoffrey Zhu zyzhu2000 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 14:39:25 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am about to write a C extension module. C functions in the module will
take and return numpy arrays. I found a tutorial online, but I am not sure
about the following:

1. Can I compile my extension with Visual Studio 2005? My impression is that
I will have to link with numpy libraries, and, if numpy was compiled with a
different compiler, I might have problems. However, if numpy is a DLL, maybe
there is a way that I can build a LIB file based on the DLL and link with
the LIB file. Does anyone have experience in doing this?

2. I am new to writing python extensions. The tutorial is doing things by
hand. Does anyone know what is the best way to do this? How about SWIG?

Thanks,
Geoffrey