[Numpy-discussion] Pickle, pytables, and sqlite - loading and saving recarray's

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Fri Jul 20 14:30:42 EDT 2007

A Divendres 20 Juliol 2007 20:16, Christopher Barker escrigué:
> Another small note:
>
> I'm pretty sure sqlite stores everything as strings. This just plain has
> to be slower than storing the raw binary representation (and may mean
> for slight differences in fp values on the round-trip). HDF is designed
> for this sort of thing, sqlite is not.

Yeah, that was the case with sqlite 2.  However, starting with sqlite 3,
developers provided the ability to store integer and real numbers in a more
compact format [1].  Sqlite 3 is the version included in Python 2.5 (the
python version that Vincent was benchmarking), so this shouldn't make a big
difference compared with other relational databases.

[1] http://www.sqlite.org/datatype3.html

Cheers,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"