[Numpy-discussion] Requests for NumPy Ports?

Keith Goodman kwgoodman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 12:10:35 EST 2007

On 1/30/07, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to help out the conversion to NumPy by offering patches to
> various third-party packages that have used Numeric in the past.
>
> Does anybody here have requests for which packages they would like to
> see converted to use NumPy?  Ultimately, we are at the mercy of the
> package-owners to complete the conversion by applying the patches.  But,
> I think it helps when there are patches already available for trying out.
>
> The packages I've worked on so far are here:
> http://www.scipy.org/Porting_to_NumPy

To remove numeric from my system I'd have to remove 34 packages. Some
of the ones I use a lot:

gedit
meld
nautilus
matplotlib
rhythmbox
gnome-terminal

What kind of matrix computations do these programs need?

I'm surprised that so many packages use numeric. But that must mean
that numpy has a bright future.