[Numpy-discussion] Latest Array-Interface PEP

Torgil Svensson torgil.svensson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 14:58:27 EST 2007

On 1/11/07, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:
> Torgil Svensson wrote:
>> Example1: We have a very large amount of data with a compressed
>> internal representation
>>
>> Example2: We might want to generate data "on the fly" as it's needed
>>
>> Example3: If module creators to deal with different byte alignments,
>> contiguousness etc it'll lead to lots of code duplication and
>> unnecessarily much work
>>
>> Is it possible to add a data access API to this PEP?>
>> Could you give an example of what you mean?  I have no problem with such
>> a concept.  I'm mainly interested in getting the NumPy memory model into
>> Python some-how.  I know it's not the "only" way to think about memory,
>> but it is a widely-used and useful way.

Sure. I'm not objecting the memory model, what I mean is that data
access between modules has a wider scope than just a memory model.
Maybe i'm completely out-of-scope here, I thought this was worth
considering for the inter-module-data-sharing - scope.

Say we want to access a huge array with 1 million text-strings from
another module that has a compressed representation in memory. Here's
a pseudo-code-example with most of the details completely made up:

buffer = AnotherModule_GetBigArrayAsBuffer()
aview=buffer->bf_getarrayview()
indexes=NewList()
for(i=0; i<aview->shape[0]  ; ++i)
  for(j=0; j<aview->shape[1] ; ++j)
  {
     item=aview->get_from_index(i)    /* item represents the data
described by the PyDataFormatObject */
     if (is_interesting_item(item)) ListAdd(indexes,NewList(i,j))
  }
indexarr=Numpy_ArrayFromLists(indexes)

Here, we don't have to care about any data layout-issues; called
module could even produce data on-the-fly. If I want direct memory
access we could use a function that returns data, strides and flags.