[Numpy-discussion] installing numpy, matplotlib, scipy from source on a Mac

belinda thom bthom at cs.hmc.edu
Wed Jan 10 14:52:57 EST 2007

I am posting this message to both numpy and matplotlib mailing lists
because the thread relates to both.

First, Robert Kern kindly provided step-by-step instructions for Macs
(PPCs and Intels) regarding how to install FROM SOURCE the packages
needed to allow Python to become a viable alternative for Matlab.
Details regarding the installation of matplotlib (along with wx,
which is supposed to allow the WxAgg backend to work), numpy, and
scipy were provided.

The reason for installing FROM SOURCE on a Mac is because various
packages need to be compiled in such a way that they rely on the same
underling shared libraries, etc. for things to work (I've described
some problems w/installing from numpy, scipy, and matplotlib dmgs at
http://www.mail-archive.com/ numpy-discussion at scipy.org/
msg00481.html).

 From these instructions, I've been able to acheive numpy.test() anad
scipy.test() that run w/no failures -- hooray!

However, after installing wx and matplotlib, various problems result:

1) warnings about fonts
2) wx fails to work

I've appended the warnings below. These only occur the first time
pylab is imported (does this make sense?).

After that, I've appended the issues I've had when trying to use wx
as a backend. One reason I'd like to be able to use wx is that it
appears with TkAgg, running IDLE (w/the -n flag) can hang (see:
http://www.mail-archive.com/matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net/
msg02039.html).

Point that originally confused me: although wx is needed for the
WxAgg backend, you don't need to install the analogous Tk package to
use TkAgg PROVIDED you're using MacPython, for that comes bundled w/
an Aqua-based Tk interface.

I'm on a G4 PPC, w/OS X 10.4.8, and using MacPython 2.4. Any idea
what wx doesn't work?

Thanks,

--b

ONE-TIME WARNINGS:
--------------------
Python 2.4.4 (#1, Oct 18 2006, 10:34:39)
history mechanism set up
 >>> import pylab as P
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-
packages/matplotlib/font_manager.py:455: UserWarning: Could not open
font file /Library/Fonts/NISC18030.ttf
   warnings.warn("Could not open font file %s"%fpath)
<snip>
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-
packages/matplotlib/font_manager.py:455: UserWarning: Could not open
font file /System/Library/Fonts/TimesLTMM
   warnings.warn("Could not open font file %s"%fpath)

WX / MATPLOTLIB FAILURE
--------------------------

4 % python
Python 2.4.4 (#1, Oct 18 2006, 10:34:39)
history mechanism set up
 >>> import matplotlib as M
 >>> import pylab as P
 >>> M.rcParams['interactive']
True
 >>> M.rcParams['backend']
'WXAgg'
 >>> P.plot([1,2,3])
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_wx.py", line
1048, in _onPaint
     self.draw(repaint=False)
<snip>
     figManager.canvas.draw()
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_wxagg.py", line
63, in draw
     self.bitmap = _convert_agg_to_wx_bitmap(self.get_renderer(), None)
MemoryError: _wxagg.convert_agg_to_wx_bitmap(): could not create the
wx.Bitmap