[Numpy-discussion] ndarray newbie question

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 14:47:35 EST 2007

belinda thom wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wrote a "display obj" method for viewing instance data:
>
> def dobj(obj) :
>      """extended object viewer that displays arg"""
>      print 'Class: ', obj.__class__.__name__, ' id:', id(obj)
>      for k in obj.__dict__.keys() :
>          print '  ', k, ': ', obj.__dict__[k], ' id:', id(obj.__dict__
> [k])
>

> and I'm wondering why it doesn't work on ndarrays:
>
>  >>> m = numpy.zeros(3)
>  >>> dobj(m)
>
> complains because:
>
> AttributeError: 'numpy.ndarray' object has no attribute '__dict__'
>
> I am also fairly new to python, but would have thought all objects
> had dictionaries, especially when they are comprised of other things,
> e.g.
>
> dir(m)
>
> produces a slew of components, e.g.
>
> tofile, ..., transpose, ..., view, etc.

Most types defined in C do not have a .__dict__ .

In [1631]: s = 1

In [1632]: s.__dict__
<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>        Traceback (most recent call last)

/Users/rkern/svn/mt-data/<ipython console> in <module>()

<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>: 'int' object has no attribute '__dict__'

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco