[Numpy-discussion] Distributing prebuilt numpy and other extensions

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Feb 20 21:50:11 EST 2007

Zachary Pincus wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I've developed some command-line tools for biologists using python/
> numpy and some custom C and Fortran extensions, and I'm trying to
> figure out how to easily distribute them...
>
> For people using linux, I figure a source distribution is no problem
> at all. (Right?)
If they already have dependencies, and can easily install blas/lapack,
then it is indeed relatively easy. Incidentally, I am working on a
system to build a complete self-contained numpy/scipy from sources,
including LAPACK/BLAS/ATLAS if necessary, for reasons similar to you. On
linux at least, I still think source distribution is the most reliable
(compiler version mismatch, etc... makes it really difficult to
distribute binaries across several distributions).
> On the other hand, for Mac users (whose computers by default don't
> have the dev tools, and even then would need to get a fortran
> compiler elsewhere) I'd like to figure out something a bit easier.

I don't know much about Mac OS X, but PyMC distributes binaries for
intel and ppc Mac in a way similar to what you are looking for:

http://trichech.us/?page_id=3

Unfortunately, the build scripts are not included in the sources, but
maybe the author of PyMC can give you some hints ?

cheers,

David