[Numpy-discussion] Greek Letters

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 20 19:18:05 EST 2007

I have found that the python 'unicode name' escape sequence, combined
with the canonical list of unicode names ( http://unicode.org/Public/
UNIDATA/NamesList.txt ), is a good way of getting the symbols you
want and still keeping the python code legible.

 From the above list, we see that the symbol name we want is GREEK
SMALL LETTER CHI, so:
chi = u'\N{GREEK SMALL LETTER CHI}'
will do the trick. For chi^2, use:
chi2 = u'\N{GREEK SMALL LETTER CHI}\N{SUPERSCRIPT TWO}'

Note that to print these characters, we usually need to encode them
somehow. My terminal supports UTF-8, so the following works for me:
import codecs
print codecs.encode(chi2, 'utf8')

giving (if your mail reader supports utf8 and mine encodes it
properly...):
χ²

Zach Pincus

Program in Biomedical Informatics and Department of Biochemistry
Stanford University School of Medicine