[Numpy-discussion] classmethods for ndarray

Matt Knox mattknox_ca at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:35:02 EST 2007

> Would this break previously saved pickles, so you couldn't load them?  I ran
into
> that problem last year when there was a change to numpy.  Is that something
that
> would happen here?
>
> 			bb

Regardless of whether or not this change will "break pickles", it seems highly
likely to me that other future changes will prevent you from loading arrays
pickled with older versions of numpy and python. That is one of several reasons
why I generally think relying on direct pickling for storage is not a good
idea. Another reason is that loading data becomes an all or nothing
proposition, you can't read half of an array off the disk for example (not
easily anyway). If you need to store numpy arrays directly, pytables
(www.pytables.org) is the best solution that I am aware of, and it will
(mostly) save you from worrying about these kinds of issues in the future.

- Matt