[Numpy-discussion] Changing the distributed binary for numpy 1.0.4 for windows ?

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Mon Dec 10 21:59:43 EST 2007

An idea that occurred to me after reading Fernando's email. A function
could be called at numpy import time that specifically checks for the
instruction set on the CPU running and makes sure that is completely
covers the instruction set available through all the various calls,
including to BLAS. If this kind of thing were added, numpy could fail
with a loud warning rather than dying with mysterious errors later on.
The trouble would seem that you can switch your BLAS shared library
without re-compiling numpy, so numpy would have to do a run-time query
of ATLAS, etc. for compilation issues. Which is likely
library-dependent, and furthermore, not having looked into BLAS
implementations, I'm not sure that (m)any of them provide such
information. Do they? Is this idea technically possible?

-Andrew