[Numpy-discussion] scipy.scons branch: building numpy and scipy with scons

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 14:36:06 EST 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 12:27 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> user-friendly. Another option is to have our Fortran compiler "knowledge-base"
> separable from the rest of the package. scons could try to import them from,
> say, numpy_fcompilers first and then look inside numpy.distutils if
> numpy_fcompilers is not found. That way, a user could download a fresh
> "knowledge-base" into their source tree (and possibly tweak it) without the
> burden of installing a new numpy.

Is this something that really needs to be a code package?  Why can't
this knowledge (or at least the easily overridable part of it) be
packaged in one or more .conf/.ini plaintext files?  In that way,
users could easily grab new data files or tweak the builtin ones, and
at build time say

setup.py install  --compiler_conf=~/my_tweaked.conf

Is that impossible/unreasonable for some reason?

Cheers,