[Numpy-discussion] numpy build fails on powerpc ydl

Vincent Broman broman at spawar.navy.mil
Thu Aug 30 11:24:27 EDT 2007

My build of numpy fails under Yellow Dog Linux 2.1,
running on a powerpc multiprocessor board from Curtiss-Wright.

Its kernel is 2.4.19-Asmp tailored by the vendor.
The gcc compiler is configured as ppc-yellowdog-linux with
version number 2.95.3 20010111.
The python I'm using is Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863) installed as python2.
Plain /usr/bin/python is 1.5.x .
The numpy version I'm trying to build is r4003 for v1.0.4 .

The setup fails compiling build/src.linux-ppc-2.5/numpy/core/src/umathmodule.c
with a long list of error messages of the following two kinds.

warning: conflicting types for built-in function `sinl'
repeated for `cosl', `fabsl', and `sqrtl', triggered by line 442.

inconsistent operand constraints in an  `asm',
triggered by lines 1100, 1124, 1150, 1755, 1785, and 1834.

I cannot see on those source lines what causes such a
message; I suspect there is some long complicated
cpp macro or asm statement in some include file which
I don't find.

Has anyone tried building numpy on Yellow Dog Linux or on a PowerPC with gcc?

Vincent Broman
broman at spawar.navy.mil