[Numpy-discussion] matlab vs. python question

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 05:44:43 EDT 2007

Well - these threads always go on for a long time, but...

I've used matlab heavily for 10 years.  I found that I had to use perl
and C fairly heavily to get things done that matlab could not do well.
 Now I've switched to numpy, scipy, matplotlib, there is really
nothing I miss in matlab.  We would not attempt what we are doing now:

http://neuroimaging.scipy.org/

in matlab - it's just not the right tool for a large scale programming effort.

I agree that matlab has many attractions as a teaching tool and for
small numeric processing scripts, but if you are writing a large to
medium-sized application, I really don't think there is any
comparison...

Matthew