[Numpy-discussion] Inplace reshape

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 23 20:05:17 EDT 2007

Keith Goodman wrote:

> At the moment numpy.reshape and array.reshape have different doc
> strings (I'm using numpy 1.0.2.dev3546). The one I pasted is from
> numpy.reshape.

And I see from there:
     :See also:
       numpy.ndarray.reshape() is the equivalent method.

so it looks like they are the same thing. On the other hand, I *think*
that some of the ndarray methods are slightly different, but the
functions have been retained with the old functionality for backward
compatibility reasons. However, it looks like ndarray.reshape() is
behaving like the docstring for numpy.reshape(), so there is a bug of
some sort (probably a doc bug).

if numpy.reshape() is delegating to ndarray.reshape() couldn't they
share docstrings somehow?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov