[Numpy-discussion] building numpy with atlas on ubuntu edgy

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Apr 15 22:25:52 EDT 2007

Christian K wrote:

> Thanks, but that didn't help:
>
> atlas_info:
>   libraries lapack not found in /usr/lib/sse2
>   libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib/atlas
>   libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/lib/atlas
>   libraries lapack not found in /usr/lib/sse2
>   libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib
>   libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/lib
> numpy.distutils.system_info.atlas_info
> /media/hda6/home/ck/prog/scipy/numpy/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:903:
> UserWarning:
>     Could not find lapack library within the ATLAS installation.
>
>   warnings.warn(message)
>   FOUND:
>     libraries = ['f77blas', 'cblas', 'atlas']
>     library_dirs = ['/usr/lib/sse2']
>     language = c
>     define_macros = [('ATLAS_WITHOUT_LAPACK', None)]
>
> lapack_info:
>   libraries lapack not found in /usr/lib/sse2
>   libraries lapack not found in /usr/lib
>   NOT AVAILABLE
>

> Christian

On Ubuntu and debian, you do NOT need any site.cfg to compile numpy with
atlas support. Just install the package atlas3-base-dev, and you are
done. The reason is that when *compiling* a software which needs atlas,
the linker will try to find libblas.so in /usr/lib, not in
/usr/lib/sse2. If you install atlas3-base-dev, the package will install
those at the correct locations. I have updated the instructions for
Ubuntu (also works for debian) on the wiki a few days ago:

http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux#head-c5a062b2ecf76f746d78cfcde1dae00ae26109fe

Note that if you have also optimized version installed (sse, sse2), it
will use those automatically when you launch numpy (you can check by
doing ldd on the file numpy/core/_dotblas.so inside your numpy installation.

cheers,

David