[Numpy-discussion] About NumPy description

Steven H. Rogers steve at shrogers.com
Tue Apr 3 22:13:39 EDT 2007

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Francesc Altet wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've seen the description of NumPy in the recent announcement (btw, good
>> work!) and I think it misses something important. To put this in context, let
>> me paste the description used for the latest announce:
>>
>> """
>> NumPy is a Python extension that provides a multi-dimensional array and
>> basic mathematical processing to Python.  NumPy also provides foundation
>> for basic image and signal processing, linear algebra and Fourier
>> transforms, and random number generation.  NumPy also includes easy
>> integration with ctypes and Fortran allowing powerful extensions to be
>> written.
>> """
>>
>> This is ok but I think it stresses a bit too much the mathematical side of
>> NumPy and doesn't mention the important field of application for the flexible
>> multi-dimensional data containers that it provides.

How about:
"""
NumPy extends Python with a multi-dimensional array type (class) and
related mathematical functions.  This provides the Python user with
useful abstractions for managing and computing with multi-dimensional
bulk data.  This provides a strong foundation for for such domains as
statistics, image and signal processing, finance, and general systems
modeling.  Easy integration with ctypes and Fortran allow efficient
leveraging of high performance C and Fortran code.
"""