[Numpy-discussion] Division by zero doesn't raise exception in the integer case.

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 20 18:17:58 EDT 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
>> In [77]: arange(5, dtype=int)/0
>> Out[77]: array([0, 0, 0, 0, 0])

> It is deliberate.   Numarray introduced it (the only difference being
> that by default NumPy has division-by-zero erros turned off). It's tied
> to the way floating-point division-by zero is handled.   There is a
> valid argument for having a separate integer-division flag so that you
> can raise exceptions for integer-division but not for floating-point
> division.  I'm open to that change for 1.0rc1

+1  (+inf)

There is a BIG difference between getting an inf with a floating point
computation and getting a 0 with an integer one!

Also, the default integer-division flag should be set to raise an exception.

It sure would be nice to have special values for integers too....

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Simulating and "integer-division-by-zero"
> hardware flag is not trivial as we would have to manage context
> switching ourselves.   So, at least for 1.0, integer and floating-point
> division by zero are going to be handled the same.

Darn. Oh well.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov