[Numpy-discussion] please change mean to use dtype=float

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Thu Sep 21 17:59:37 EDT 2006

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:34:42 -0700
Tim Hochberg <tim.hochberg at ieee.org> wrote:

> Tim Hochberg wrote:
> > Robert Kern wrote:

> >> With one exception, every test that I've thrown at it shows that it's
> >> better for float32. That exception is uniformly spaced arrays, like
> >> linspace().
> >>
> >>  > You do avoid
> >>  > accumulating large sums, but then doing the division a[i]/len(a) and
> >>  > adding that will do the same.
> >>
> >> Okay, this is true.

> I'm going to go ahead and attach a module containing the versions of
> mean, var, etc that I've been playing with in case someone wants to mess
> with them. Some were stolen from traffic on this list, for others I
> grabbed the algorithms from wikipedia or equivalent.

I looked into this a bit more. I checked float32 (single precision) and
float64 (double precision), using long doubles (float96) for the "exact"
results. This is based on your code. Results are compared using
abs(exact_stat - computed_stat) / max(abs(values)), with 10000 values in the
range of [-100, 900]

First, the mean. In float32, the Kahan summation in single precision is
better by about 2 orders of magnitude than simple summation. However,
accumulating the sum in double precision is better by about 9 orders of
magnitude than simple summation (7 orders more than Kahan).

In float64, Kahan summation is the way to go, by 2 orders of magnitude.

For the variance, in float32, Knuth's method is *no better* than the two-pass
method. Tim's code does an implicit conversion of intermediate results to
float64, which is why he saw a much better result. The two-pass method using
Kahan summation (again, in single precision), is better by about 2 orders of
magnitude. There is practically no difference when using a double-precision
accumulator amongst the techniques: they're all about 9 orders of magnitude
better than single-precision two-pass.

In float64, Kahan summation is again better than the rest, by about 2 orders
of magnitude.

I've put my adaptation of Tim's code, and box-and-whisker plots of the
results, at http://arbutus.mcmaster.ca/dmc/numpy/variance/

Conclusions:

- If you're going to calculate everything in single precision, use Kahan
summation. Using it in double-precision also helps.
- If you can use a double-precision accumulator, it's much better than any of
the techniques in single-precision only.

- for speed+precision in the variance, either use Kahan summation in single
precision with the two-pass method, or use double precision with simple
summation with the two-pass method. Knuth buys you nothing, except slower
code :-)

After 1.0 is out, we should look at doing one of the above.