Strange results when sorting array with fields

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Oct 23 17:30:31 EDT 2006

Albert Strasheim wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I'm trying to sort an array with two fields, but I'm getting a result that
> doesn't seem to make sense.
>
> What I tried (first attempt): I have two 2-D arrays. I would like to sort
> one based on the sort of the other. I managed to do this with argsort.
> However, the fancy indexing required to get the sorted array using what
> argsort returned was very slow. I followed this example:
>
> http://www.scipy.org/Numpy_Example_List#head-9f8656795227e3c43e849c6c0435eee
> b32afd722
>
> What I tried (second attempt): I created an array with two fields. I
> think/hope/expected that sorting the array would sort it on the first field
> in the dtype and then on the second. This is *much* faster than the fancy
> indexing approach.

That kind of sorting is what lexsort does (although with indexes) and is
more complicated than what the sort routine does in NumPy.  The sorting
routines in NumPy use the output of the comparison operator for the type
to compute the result.

An array with fields is of type void.  Right now, the VOID_compare
routine is equivalent to the STRING_compare routine (i.e. raw bytes are
compared).  I doubt this will do what you want in most cases.  It would
be possible to adapt this compare routine when fields are present and so
something like compare the first field first and the second field only
if the first is equal.  But, this would require a bit of work and is
probably best left for 1.0.1 or later.

-Travis