numpy.distutils Intel Visual Fortran detection

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 09:16:20 EDT 2006

Hello all

I'm trying to get SciPy compiling with MSVC and the Intel Visual Fortran
compiler, version 9.1. I'm running into problems with the version
detection code failing.

The current version_cmd in intel.py is:

'version_cmd'  : [fc_exe, "-FI -V -c %(fname)s.f -o %(fname)s.o" \
                  % {'fname':dummy_fortran_file()}],

Even when running inside a Command Prompt with the necessary environment
variables for the compiler set up, this command causes the following
error:

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'ifconsol.lib'

Changing version_cmd to to pass /help /quiet instead of trying to
compile a dummy file does the trick. (/quiet so that the compiler
doesn't warn about it being called ifort now, causing the regular
expression that detects the version to fail.)

Can we fix this? Is it important to try to compile the dummy file?

Cheers,

Albert