memory position of numpy arrays

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Oct 24 22:28:38 EDT 2006

Andrew Straw wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>
>> I don't know anything about your device, but a driver directly accessing
>> a memory buffer from a userland program sounds like a bug to me.
>>
> David, DMA memory (yes, I know thats an example of RAS Syndrome,
> apologies) allows hardware to fill a chunk of RAM and then hand it over
> to a userspace program. In my experience, RAM used for this purpose must
> be pre-allocated, usually in a ring-buffer type arrangement. So this is
> normal operating procedure for something like a frame grabber and not a
> bug at all.

What I understood from former emails was that the user is allocating a
memory buffer, and that it gives this memory buffer to the hardware. In
this sense, I don't see how it is possible to avoid kernel panic or
equivalents. If on the contrary, the driver gives you the memory buffer,
then, ok, by eg a mmap-like call, you can access directly the device
memory, but within a range fixed by the driver, which is valid if the
driver is not buggy.

That's why I don't understand the paging problem and why allocating
anything from C or python would change anything (I think windows can
page out kernel, contrary to linux, but I doubt it can page out DMA
areas), because the user does not allocate anything in this scenario.

But again, this is just what I would think from "common sense", and I
have never done any system programming, so I may just miss something,

David