[SciPy-dev] NumPy/SciPy + MPI for Python

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sat Oct 14 09:34:16 EDT 2006

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 06:58:45AM -0600, Bill Spotz wrote:
> I would like to second the notion of converging on a single MPI
> interface.  My parallel project encapsulates most of the inter-
> processor communication within higher-level objects because the lower-
> level communication patterns can usually be determined from higher-
> level data structures.  But still, there are times when a user would
> like access to the lower-level MPI interface.

I think we are running in the same old problem of scipy/a super-package
of scientific tools. It is important to keep numpy/scipy modular. People
may want to install either one without an MPI interface. However it is
nice that if somebody just wants "everything" without having to choose
he can download that "everything" from scpy.org and that it comes well
bundled together. So all we need to do is find a name for that
super-package, put it together with good integration and add it to
scipy.org.

My 2 cents,

Gaël