Should numpy.sqrt(-1) return 1j rather than nan?

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu Oct 12 02:26:17 EDT 2006

David Goldsmith wrote:
> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
>> pearu at cens.ioc.ee wrote:
>>

>>> Could sqrt(-1) made to return 1j again?
>>>

>> Not in NumPy.  But, in scipy it could.
>>

> Ohmigod!!!  You are definitely going to scare away many, many potential
> users - if I wasn't obliged to use open source at work, you'd be scaring
> me away.
Why in the world does it scare you away.  This makes no sense to me.
If you don't like the scipy version don't use it.   NumPy and SciPy are
not the same thing.

The problem we have is that the scipy version (0.3.2) already had this
feature (and Numeric didn't).   What is so new here that is so scary ?

-Travis