super-packages [was "Hello and my first patch"]

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 6 14:08:25 EDT 2006

A. M. Archibald wrote:
> Is setting out to create a "MATLAB replacement" a good goal?

No.

> the goal should be to create a useful tool for scientists.

Yes.

> but I think MATLAB is clearly already that, so (at first) it can serve
> as a definite objective. Of course, anyone who wants to make scipy
> *better* than MATLAB should be warmly encouraged...

It already *is* better!

I say this as a former, committed MATLAB user. I personally think Python
is a much better foundation language, and numpy a better array
implementation.

MATLAB two advantages (and they are big ones!): integrated plotting and
a large and broad library of ready-to-use functions for a wide variety
of computing.

MPL has almost solved one, and SciPy is getting better an better -- so
we're really on the right track!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov