[Numpy-discussion] Hello and my first patch

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Oct 5 18:19:26 EDT 2006

A. M. Archibald wrote:

>On 05/10/06, Greg Willden <gregwillden at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 10/5/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:
>>

>>>Perhaps that is the best way to move forward along with the work on a
>>>"pylab" super-package.
>>>

>>That is exactly what I want.
>>

>What is unsatisfactory about installing numpy+scipy+matplotlib? I've
>found they're generally pretty complete (except where no decent python
>alternative exists).
>

>>In the end I want a nice collection of functions, logically organized, that
>>let me analyze/filter/plot etc. etc. etc.
>>
>>The key for me is "logically organized".

There is a structure to it, but it's more organic because of the
multiple contributors.

weave should be in NumPy but nobody was willing to step up to maintain
it a year ago.   I may be willing to step up at this point.   I would
like to see weave in NumPy (maybe not the blitz libraries though...)

I think a hybrid for weave / f2py / ctypes that allows "inlining in
multiple languages" as well as automatic extension module generation for
"already-written" code is in order.

-Travis