[Numpy-discussion] Complex numbers response

Kenny Ortmann kortmann at ideaworks.com
Tue Oct 3 17:49:29 EDT 2006

> There may be a better way, but::
>
>    alltrue(isreal(x))
>
> Would work. As would:
>
>    not sometrue(x.imag)
>
> In the above test you are already negating the test, so you could just
> drop the not.
>>  and if so is
>> there a way to extract the(a + ib) because the absolute value of a
>> complex
>> number is like the pythagorean therom on a and b?

what i was looking for in the above is that when I looked up the
abs(complexnum) i saw that the abs() of a complex num is (a^2 + b^2)^.5 so i
was asking for a way to do this because i was assuming that i was going to
have to parse through the array in a for loop and if i found a complex
number then get the a and b to do the pythagorean theorom but it seems i
will not have to do this, as for the matlab code see below

> I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for here, but x.imag and
> x.real will give you the real and imaginary parts. abs(x) will return
> the magnitude of x whether x is real or complex. x.conj() will return
> complex conjugate.
>
> I'm somewhat suspicious of that matlab code. The code given is
> discontinuous as you cross the negative real axis. Does the result
> subsequently get squared or something? I'm guessing that either the
> matlab code is doing extra work, or there are some hidden assumptions
> (all values are in the positive real half-plane). Or some such. In
> either case, you'd probably be OK just skipping the check for realness
> and always taking the absolute of array. I can't say for sure without
> more context though.
>
> -tim

this is taken out of a program i am converting from matlab to python, so I
can not explain all of it, it would take forever, BUT
COEmix, the input, is equal to a different arrays 0 and 2 rows added
together.  So with that being said, it can not be empty, and must be actual
numbers.  The reason I am "scared" to remove the isreal statement that i
asked about is because the array before hand has values that are taken from
square roots.  I do not know if these could ever end up being complex and I
am meeting with the head of this project tomorrow to discuss it, but you
asked so i thought i would share.

function [pospeakind,negpeakind]=peakdetect(COEmix)
if ~nargin
   COEmix=input('enter COEmix vector or return for empty outputs\n');
   if isempty(COEmix)
      pospeakind=[];
      negpeakind=[];
      return
   end
end
sizsig=size(COEmix);
while isempty(COEmix)|~isnumeric(COEmix)|~all(all(isfinite(COEmix)))...
      |length(sizsig)>2|min(sizsig)~=1
   COEmix=input(['COEmix is empty, nonnumeric, nonfinite, or
nonvector:\nenter '...
         'finite vector or return for empty outputs\n']);
   if isempty(COEmix)
      pospeakind=[];
      negpeakind=[];
      return
   end
   sizsig=size(COEmix);
end
if ~isreal(COEmix)
   COEmix=abs(COEmix);
end
if ~any(COEmix-COEmix(1))
   pospeakind=[];
   negpeakind=[];
   disp('constant COEmix graph suppressed')
   return
end