[Numpy-discussion] Vectorizing code, for loops, and all that

Albert Strasheim 13640887 at sun.ac.za
Mon Oct 2 20:42:24 EDT 2006

Hello all

Firstly, thanks to Tim... I'll try his functions tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I can confirm that the NOBUFFER_UFUNCLOOP case in
PyUFunc_GenericFunction is getting exercised in the slower case. Here's some
info on what's happening, courtesy of Rational Quantify:

case NOBUFFER_UFUNCLOOP:
while (loop->index < loop->size) {
  for (i=0; i<self->nargs; i++)
    loop->bufptr[i] = loop->iters[i]->dataptr; [1]

  loop->function((char **)loop->bufptr, &(loop->bufcnt),
                 loop->steps, loop->funcdata); [2]
  UFUNC_CHECK_ERROR(loop);

  for (i=0; i<self->nargs; i++) {
      PyArray_ITER_NEXT(loop->iters[i]); [3]
  }
  loop->index++;
}
break;

[1] 12.97% of function time
[2] 8.65% of functiont ime
[3] 62.14% of function time

If statistics from elsewhere in the code would be helpful, let me know, and
I'll see if I can convince Quantify to cough it up.

> <snip>

Thanks for all code and suggestions.

Cheers,

Albert