Compiling numpy with lapack and atlas

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 02:34:53 EST 2006

Abhishek Roy wrote:
> Hello,
>       I am trying to compile Numpy with lapack & atlas. In site.cfg I put,
> [atlas]
> library_dirs = /usr/local/lib/atlas/
> atlas_libs = cblas, lapack, f77blas, atlas
>
> and installation seems to go well. It says,
>   FOUND:
>     libraries = ['cblas', 'lapack', 'f77blas', 'atlas']
>     library_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib/atlas/']
>     language = c
>     include_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib/atlas']
> and the lines with gcc <something> -lcblas -llapack don't give an error. But
> afterwards running,
> $ ldd ~/numpy-1.0/build/lib.linux-i686-2.4/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so
> linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
> libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x40238000)
> libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4028b000)
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x80000000)
>
> which I think means libcblas and libatlas are not linked. Can someone tell me
> what's going wrong here?

Are your ATLAS libraries shared or static (i.e., are they libatlas.so or
libatlas.a)? ldd(1) only lists the shared libraries that are linked. ATLAS is
usually installed as static libraries.

Does that module import? If so, then you have no problems. If not, then copy the
message here. It should tell you one of the symbols that are missing.

Note that libraries should be listed in the order in which they depend on each
other. lapack depends on f77blas and cblas which both depend on atlas.

  lapack,f77blas,cblas,atlas

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."