problems installing NumPy on OSX

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 16:58:35 EST 2006

arildna at stud.ntnu.no wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry if this might seem like a stupid question to some of you,
> but I have been struggling for the better part of the afternoon trying
> to install NumPy on my G4 iBook, so I hope somebody can take the time
> to lend me a helping hand. I have searched a little in the mail
> archives and tried to follow the instructions on this page:
> http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X

Note that these are instructions for installing scipy, so there is a lot there
that you don't need to do just to install numpy. Notably, some of the things
that you are having problems with.

> Python 2.5 is installed, and I have installed Apple's Developer's
> Tools (i.e. the package "December 2002 Mac OS X Developer Tools"). The
> GCC/G77-installation seemed to go ok.

You probably can't use g77 along with Python 2.5. Python 2.5 is built with gcc
4.0 but g77 never got ported to the 4.x platform. However, it's not at all
necessary for numpy.

> When I try to install the FFW libraries however, I get an error
> message telling me that my "C compiler cannot create executables"
> (full output below).

numpy does not use FFTW at all, so don't let this hold you up. If you want to
troubleshoot the problem, however, look at the config.log file for more
information. grep for the string "cannot create executables".

> After that I didn't really expect the installation of NumPy to work,
> but I got a "permission denied"-error message that I'm not so sure is
> connected to the missing FFW.

You probably tried to run a previous build or install as root. Delete the build/
directory (probably as root) and try another build as a regular user. Don't use
root until you actually want to install (and then, only if you need to).

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco