[Numpy-discussion] Suggestions for NumPy

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed May 31 14:36:02 EDT 2006

On 5/31/06, Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Ed Schofield wrote:
> > Improvements for NumPy's web presence:
> > http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/132
>
>  From that page:
>
> NumPy's web presence could be improved by:
>
> 2. Pointing www.numpy.org to numeric.scipy.org instead of the SF page
>
> I don't like this. *numpy is not scipy*. It should have it's own page
> (which would refer to scipy). That page should be something better than
> the raw sourceforge page, however.

Well, ipython is not scipy either, and yet its homepage is
ipython.scipy.org.  I think it's simply a matter of convenience that
the Enthought hosting infrastructure is so much more pleasant to use
than SF, that other projects use scipy.org as an umbrella.  In that
sense, I think it's fair to say that numpy is part of the 'scipy
family'.  I don't know, at least this doesn't particularly bother me.

> A lot of us use numpy without anything else from the scipy project, and
> scipy is still a major pain in the *&&^* to build. Can you even build it
> with gcc 4 yet?

I built it on a recent ubuntu not too long ago, without any glitches.
I can check again tonitght on a fresh Dapper with up-to-date SVN if
you want.

Cheers,