[Numpy-discussion] Re: numpy crash on numpy.tri(-1)

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu May 11 17:38:02 EDT 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Subject says it all.  numpy.tri(-1) crashes the python process.
>
>>>> numpy.__version__
> '0.9.6'

On OS X:

>>> import numpy
>>> numpy.tri(-1)
array([], shape=(0, 0), dtype=int32)
>>> numpy.__version__
'0.9.7.2476'

While probably not "right" in any sense of the word, it doesn't crash in recent
versions.

In the future, it would be good to post the output of the crash. Sometimes
people use the word "crash" to imply that an exception made it to the toplevel
rather than, say, a segfault at the C level. Knowing what kind of "crash" is
important. With segfaults, it is also usually helpful to know the platform you
are on. With segfaults in linear algebra code, it is extremely helpful to know
what BLAS and LAPACK you used to compile numpy.

Thank you.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."