[Numpy-discussion] Building on Windows

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Wed May 10 20:20:02 EDT 2006

Albert Strasheim wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>It seems that many people are building on Windows without problems, except
>for Stephan and myself.
>
>Let me start by staying that yes, the default build on Windows with MinGW
>and Visual Studio works nicely.
>
>However, is anybody building with ATLAS and finding that experience to be
>equally painless? If so, *please* can you tell me how you've organized your
>libraries (which libraries? CLAPACK? FLAPACK? .a? .lib? What about ATLAS's
>LAPACK functions? What about building ATLAS as DLL?). Also, I'd be very
>interested in the contents of your site.cfg.  I've been trying for many
>weeks to do some small subset of the above without hacking into the core of
>numpy.distutils. So far, no luck.

Sorry, no help here. I'm just doing vanilla builds.

>Does anybody do debug builds on Windows? Again, please tell me how you do
>this, because I would really like to be able to build a debug version of
>NumPy for debugging with the MSVS compiler.

Again just vanilla builds, although this is something I'd like to try
one of these days. (Is that MSVC compiler, or is that yet another
compiler for windows).

>As for compiler warnings, last time I checked, distutils seems to be
>suppressing the output from the compiler, except when the build actually
>fails. Or am I mistaken?

Hmm. I hadn't thought about that. It certainly spits out plenty of
warnings when the build fails, so I assumed that it was always spitting
out warnings. [Fiddle] Ouch! It does indeed seem to supress warnings on
a successful compilation. Anyone know a way to stop that off the top of
their head?

>Eagerly awaiting Windows build nirvana,

Heh!

Regards,