[Numpy-discussion] reshape and ravel methods of arrays now return views or raise error

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Mar 29 12:11:12 EST 2006

>> Since fortran-strided
>> arrays happen *all-the-time* (e.g. after a transpose operation),

I have to wonder if it's really a good idea to do this. Why not just
make a re-ordered copy on transpose, rather than making it Fortran
strided? Is the optimization really that important?

I had always thought of Fortran strided arrays as being a special case
exception (for working with external Fortran codes), rather than
something that happens all the time.

I suppose if all these issues are worked out, it'd be transparent to me,
but it strikes me as more complication that necessary.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov