[Numpy-discussion] Ransom Proposals

Sasha ndarray at mac.com
Sun Mar 26 05:54:01 EST 2006

On 3/26/06, Tim Hochberg <tim.hochberg at cox.net> wrote:
> That brings up another question: is the plan to keep oldnumeric around
> forever, or is it going away eventually? If it is going away, then the
> place to put these would be oldnumeric. Actually, it's OK if it sticks
> around as long as it doesn't end up in the numpy namespace by default.

It *is* in oldnumeric.  However, I don't really know what plans for
oldnumeric are. Travis?
> be fine. Fine, as long as x.reshape behaves sensibly: does it always
> return a view? You (Sasha) said something about it maybe sometimes
> returning a copy. If so, that should be fixed.

I never said that. What I said was x.reshape(shape) returns x itself
if shape==x.shape and a view othrwise.  This should probably be fixed
because it may lead to inconsistent behavior of functions that
manipulate metadata after reshape.