[Numpy-discussion] problem building Numeric on python 2.5

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Thu Jun 22 18:52:05 EDT 2006

Russell E. Owen wrote:
> I just installed python 2.5b1 on my Mac (10.4 ppc) and can't seem to get
> Numeric 24.2 installed. It seems to build fine (no obvious error
> messages), but when I try to import it I get:
> Python 2.5b1 (r25b1:47038M, Jun 20 2006, 16:17:55)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5341)] on darwin

> __main__:1: ImportWarning: Not importing directory
> '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-pac
> kages/Numeric': missing __init__.py
>

> Any ideas? Is it somehow incompatible with python 2.5b1?

Import warning is a new 'feature' of 2.5. It warns if there are
directories on sys.path that are *not* packages. I'll refer you to the
py-dev archives if you want figure out the motivation for that. So, if
everything seems to work, there's a good chance that nothing's wrong,
but that your just seeing a complaint due to this new behaviour. If you
check recent messages on Python-dev someone just posted a recipe for
suppressing this warning.

-tim