[Numpy-discussion] Time for beta1 of NumPy 1.0

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri Jun 30 15:25:23 EDT 2006

Robert Kern wrote:

>Travis Oliphant wrote:
>

>>Comments?
>>

>Whatever else you do, leave arange() alone. It should never have accepted floats
>in the first place.

Actually, Robert makes a good point.  arange with floats is
problematic.   We should direct people to linspace instead of changing
the default of arange.  Most new users will probably expect arange to
return a type similar to Python's range which is int.

Also:  Keeping arange as ints reduces the number of errors from the
change in the unit tests to

2 in NumPy
3 in SciPy

So, I think from both a pragmatic and idealized situtation, arange
should stay with the default of ints.   People who want arange to return
floats should be directed to linspace.

-Travis