[Numpy-discussion] Time for beta1 of NumPy 1.0 (fwd)

Louis Cordier lcordier at point45.com
Fri Jun 30 07:57:47 EDT 2006

> While it is hard to read too much into numbers, this tells me that there
> are about 10,000 current users of Numeric/Numarray who have not even
> *tried* NumPy.  In fact, Numarray downloads of 1.5.1 went up
> significantly from its earlier  releases. Why is that?   It could be
> that many of the downloads are "casual" users who need it for some other
> application (in which case they wouldn't feel inclined to try NumPy).

Secondary dependency of other projects maybe ?
http://www.google.com/search?q=requires+Numeric+python

My money is on Spambayes...

On the other hand ;) isn't small numbers a good thing,
thus the people using NumPy over Numeric/numarray knows
that some things in NumPy might still change and thus
their code as well.

I'll risk to say their projects are probably also still
under active development.

So now would probably be the best time to make these
type of changes. Stated differently, how would we like
NumPy to function 2 years from now ?

With float64's or with int's ? Then we should rather
change it now.

Then again where are NumPy in a crossing the chasm
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_the_Chasm)
sense of way, visionary or pragmatist ?

Just a few random thoughts.

Regards, Louis.