[Numpy-discussion] byte swap in place

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 17:33:38 EDT 2006

Christopher Hanley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to byte swap a ndarray in place?  The "byteswap" method I
> have found on an ndarray object currently returns a new array.

Depends. Do you want the actual bytes to swap, or are you content with getting a
view that pretends the bytes are swapped? If the latter:

>>> a = arange(5)
>>> a.dtype
dtype('>i4')
>>> a.dtype = dtype('<i4')
>>> a
array([       0, 16777216, 33554432, 50331648, 67108864])

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco