[Numpy-discussion] comments on r_ and c_ ?

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Jul 31 13:33:25 EDT 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
> When you have a chance, could the powers that be make some comment on
> the r_ and c_ situation?
r_ and c_ were in SciPy and have been there for several years.

For NumPy, c_ has been deprecated (but not removed because it is used in
SciPy).

The functionality of c_ is in r_  so it doesn't add anything.

The purpose of it is as a "convenience function" so you can build arrays
from the command line very quickly (which is easier in MATLAB).  They
were added while I was teaching a course in Signal Processing and was
porting some MATLAB-written labs to SciPy.

There is going to be overlap with long-name functions because of
this.     I have not had time to review Bill's suggestions yet --- were
they filed as a ticket?  A ticket is the best way to keep track of
issues at this point.

-Travis