[Numpy-discussion] weave - was:Re: how to get an array with "varying" poisson distribution

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Mon Jul 24 18:02:22 EDT 2006

On Monday 24 July 2006 14:20, Robert Kern wrote:
> Sebastian Haase wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Essentially I'm looking  for the equivalent of what was in numarray:
> >     from numarray import random_array
> >     random_array.poisson(arr)
> >
> > That is: if for example arr is a 256x256 array of positive integers, then
> > this returns a new array of random numbers than are drawn according to
> > the poisson statistics  where arr's value at coordinate y,x  determines
> > the mean of the poisson distribution used  to generate  a new value for
> > y,x.
>
> I'm afraid that at this point in time, the distributions only accept scalar
> values for the parameters. I've thought about reimplementing the
> distribution functions as ufuncs, but that's a hefty chunk of work that
> won't happen for 1.0.
>
> I'm afraid that, for now, you're stuck with iterating over the values.

Thanks for the reply -
maybe this my time to get into weave ;-)

Question about distributing and/or making "python-only-changes".
How can one distribute modules using weave to other people who might NOT have
a C compiler installed ?
And further: when I change parts of that module that should not require a
recompiling of the C part  - is weave smart enough to recognise this ?

Thanks,
Sebastian

(Oops, I just realized that this would be a question maybe for the SciPy
list ... I'll assume that it's OK)