[Numpy-discussion] What to do about numarray extension modules?

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Jul 18 16:43:21 EDT 2006

Victoria G. Laidler wrote:

> I'm a numarray user that relies on convolve.

Thanks for voicing your opinion.

We should be clear about what we are talking about.

1) There is already a convolve in NumPy (it's the same one that was in
Numeric).  It seems the one in numarray is compatible.

I'm talking about the following numarray functions (please let me know
if I'm missing anything).

* all of nd_image --- currently this is in scipy (as ndimage) and can
already be built and installed as a separate package --- we need
                                     to work out distribution, though.

* all of image/
           combine.py
                     median
                     average
                     minimum
                     threshold
           _image.py
                     translate

* from Convolve/
            iraf_frame.py
            lineshape.py
            Convolve.py/
                   correlate2d
                   convolve2d
                   boxcar

For now, I will port the image and Convolve packages and place them in
the scipy/sandbox area.  From there we can figure out what to do with them.

-Travis