[Numpy-discussion] recarray field names

Erin Sheldon esheldon at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sun Jul 9 10:55:36 EDT 2006

Hi everyone -

(sigh) These gmail issues are really annoying...so I apologize
if the gmail version of this message shows up in a few days.

I brought up the issue a while back of having a simple way to
access the field names of an array. The quick summary: accessing
field names has some oddness that needs cleaning up.

The argument that this is important isn't too hard to make:
most astronomers work with lists of objects with a slew of
properties and these are most naturally stored in a recarray.
We use generic file formats like FITS that don't require the
user to know what is in the file ahead of time, but once the
data is read this information should be easily accessible, both
interactively and in code.  I'm sure similar arguments can be
made for other users.

Thanks,
Erin