[Numpy-discussion] [Pythonmac-SIG] Packaging numpy with py2app

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Wed Jul 19 00:48:30 EDT 2006

Robert Kern wrote:
> Josh Marshall wrote:
>
>> so it seems like the entire purpose of PackageLoader is to make life
>> difficult for me, just to save a few lines of typing. :) Seriously,
>> can a numpy developer tell me why PackageLoader is necessary?
>>

> I can't think of a good reason why it's used in __init__.py the way it is (it
> used to have postpone=True). If Pearu, who wrote that bit of code, doesn't speak
> up by Thursday, I'll have it removed in favor of regular imports for the beta.

This will probably help with ticket #145 as well.  A user of
ActiveState's Komodo on Windows gets a program crash which started when
the PackageLoader started getting used in 0.9.4

AFAIK, The two main purposes of the package loader are docstring
manipulation and postponing imports.  Right now, it's probably only the
docstring portion of the code that is really being used.

I would appreciate hearing Pearu's comments, however.