[Numpy-discussion] Testing a self-compiled numpy

Keith Goodman kwgoodman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 23:55:35 EDT 2006

On 7/9/06, Bill Baxter <wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote:
> I got numpy compiled according the the instruction on the Wiki, but is there
> some way to try it out without wiping out my stable install of 0.9.8?
>
> I tried modifying my PYTHONPATH to put the new numpy build directory first,
> but 'import numpy' still picks up the installed 0.9.8 version.

One quick hack is to install the new numpy somewhere else and then
rename the directory containing 0.9.8 to numpySTOP. Then you don't
have to worry about the ordering of the path.

I install in /usr/local/scipy/numpy (then it is easy to remove numpy
without worrying about leaving behind any files) and then I create the
file /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/addlocalpath.pth that contains
the lines:

/usr/local/scipy/scipy/lib/python2.4/site-packages/
/usr/local/scipy/numpy/lib/python2.4/site-packages/

Then there is no need to play with the path.