[Numpy-discussion] Dot as a method

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Wed Jul 5 18:14:44 EDT 2006

Bart Vandereycken wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> reading the thread "Ransom proposals" I was wondering why there isn't a
> ndarray.dot() method?  There is already a scipy.sparse.dot() so this
> would fit nicely in the whole idea of polymorphism.

Are you sure about that?

The problem with a dot method (aside from a over proliferation of
methods in general) is that to be done correctly you want to choose a
particular implementation of dot based *both* of its arguments. A method
does a good job dispatching on a single argument, but falls down when
dispatching on two types. Let's look at this specific case. Imagine that
in addition ndarray.dot and sparse.dot, we also stick a dot method on
ma.masked, etc. Now in order to fully exploit polymorphism and get
maximum efficiency, we want asparsearray.dot(amaskedarray) to correctly
treat the masked values (ma.dot treats them as zeros) and to not
instantiate a dense version of the sparsearray. But in order to do that
all three classes need to know about the other two. That's possible, if
messy since all three of these are known in advance, but this approach
becomes untenable if you classes outside core numpy or scipy to
participate as full citizens.

What does appear fit well here is generic functions / multimethods /
protocols as discussed in some detail on pydev-3000 a couple of months
ago. This would allow classes defined outside of core numpy and scipy to
work correctly and efficiently with dot as long as they register
appropriate versions of dot. If I wasn't swamped right at the moment I'd
prototype this up and see how it works in practice.

-tim