[Numpy-discussion] installation under other than .../site-packages

George Nurser agn at noc.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 27 01:12:07 EST 2006

On 25 Jan 2006, at 20:09, Humufr wrote:

> This solution is the one I'm using. Unfortunatly it's not working
> good with scipy. I tried to install scipy in my own directory and
> everythong seems to work like a charm but the lapack link is bad. I
> tried everything write in the wiki to install your own BLAS/LAPACK
> library but scipy want tu use the one of the system who have a
> problem. I'm trying to find a solution but until I found it numpy/
> scipy is not an option.

This wasn't obvious to me either.

To use your own blas/lapck in scipy, you need to put a site.cfg file
in the distutils directory of your numpy installation.

So if you installed numpy with --home=$HOME
it should produce a distutils directory at $HOME/lib/python/numpy/
distutils or $HOME/lib64/python/numpy/distutils

If you want to build scipy with the same site.cfg as you used to
build numpy, then, assuming the root source numpy directory is $PYSRC/
numpy

cp $PYSRC/numpy/numpy/distutils/site.cfg $HOME/lib[64]/python/numpy/
distutils

Hope this helps.

George.