[Numpy-discussion] Re: Maximum available dimensions in numpy

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Tue Jan 17 10:50:04 EST 2006

A Dimarts 17 Gener 2006 19:23, Szymon Jaroszewicz va escriure:
> I'm using multidimensional arrays (numarray currently) for storing
> conditional probability distributions in Bayesian networks, in which
> case a number of dimensions in the range of 20 or more can happen
> easily. Obviously for this reason I think its not a good idea to limit
> the dimensionality, especially that its not clear if the gain is worth
> it. Also I don't think my application to be particularly unusual, see
> for example Python Bayesian Network toolkit
> http://elliotpbnt.blogspot.com/ funded by Google summer of code.

Provided your example and that the minimum dimension size is 2 (1 does
not increase the space requeriments) for such arrays, that a boolean
would be saved on each element of the array, and that 2**32 = 4 GB (an
amount of memory that is getting common in modern machines) I would
say that allowing 32 dimensions (at least) would sound reasonable.

Cheers,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"