[Numpy-discussion] performance problem

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Jan 30 13:34:07 EST 2006

Gerard Vermeulen wrote:

>0.9.5.2021

>0.21813011169433594

>1.1523458957672119

While ultimately, this slow-down was related to a coercion issue, I did
still wonder about the extra dereference in the 1-d loop when one of the
inputs is a scalar.  So, I added a patch that checks for that case and
defines a different loop.

It seemed to give a small performance boost on my system.  I'm wondering
if such special-case coding is wise in general.  Are there other ways to
get C-compilers to produce faster code on modern machines?

-Travis